There are those who want the Second Amendment to apply only to the military, or to the "militia," as long as they get to define the "militia" as the National Guard.
For those people, I offer you fifteen great examples of why the Second Amendment is, an should remain, and individual right to bear arms:
- ORLANDO, Fla. - Police continue to search for two men who tried to grab a woman's purse as she walked toward the Fashion Square Mall on Tuesday.A third man was shot and arrested, apparently by a bystander who saw the robbery, police said Wednesday. Willie Keys-Fairclough, 29, who is hospitalized with minor injuries, was arrested in connection with the incident.
- COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - "I hope he don't die and if he comes back and look around, don't touch nothing else," says Sam Banks, talking candidly about the man he says tried to steal from his store. "I didn't go into business to lose money. We aren't making that much now, but I'm not about that losing."The retired veteran wasn't at the store he co-owns with his wife Wednesday afternoon.
Deputies says around 3:00pm a man came in, tried to walk out with some liquor and got shot.
- Lincoln County, Okla. -- Officials say Joshua Starkey broke into the man's house last week. The homeowner spotted him Thursday night while driving and followed him.Starkey eventually stopped, got out of the car and started to run. That's when the homeowner fired the shot at Starkey's vehicle. Starkey was hit in the shoulder by a fragment. Starkey was arrested shortly after.
The homeowner was not arrested.
Officials say Starkey is responsible for other burglaries in the area and he also had $3,600 in warrants out against him.
- Murfreesboro, Tenn. - Metro detectives are ruling the death of Jamie L. Sullivan, 37, a justifiable homicide.Wearing a mask and carrying what appeared to be a pistol, Sullivan entered the Mapco market at 2101 Murfreesboro Pike at 1:45 a.m.
Eric Gordon, 22, was also in the market. Sullivan pointed his pistol at Gordon's head and threatened to kill him. Sullivan told Gordon to surrender his holstered gun and a struggle ensued. Gordon drew his 9-millimeter weapon and shot Sullivan once in the face.
Sullivan died at the scene.
- Ludwig Leonard Grudisher, the Columbus man fatally shot Saturday night at a Reese Road home, had been arrested two weeks earlier for firing a gun at the same house.Columbus police said Grudisher, 52, was hit by a shotgun blast fired by his stepson around 9:45 p.m. Saturday night. He was accused of burglarizing the stepson's home and then trying to run him down with his truck when he was shot.
- WALHALLA — The Oconee County Sheriff's Department incident report lists Donnie Murphy as the victim, but it appears the suspect arrested for the burglary of Murphy's house might have gotten the worst end of the deal.Sheriff's deputies responded Sunday afternoon to a burglary call at 163 Murphy Drive in Walhalla and learned that Murphy had shot a burglar in the buttocks. Kirby Alan Ridley was later brought into custody on burglary charges at a Ranger Road home in Walhalla and sent to Oconee Medical Center for treatment of his wound.
- Oak Park police said a would-be armed robber got more than he bargained for when he attempted to steal a leather jacket from another man in the near-west suburb Sunday night.The owner of the leather jacket, after being approached, shot the 25-year-old in the face, the arm and the pelvis near North Lombard and North Avenues, police said.
- A woman's 80-year-old grandfather fatally shot her estranged husband after he tried to take their two children from the grandparents' house, Conroe police said Saturday.
- Charles Johnson is a man of his word.On Oct. 4, 1936, then 19, Johnson promised to love and protect his bride, Berlie Mae.
On Tuesday, he did.
Now 91, he scared off two home invaders with his 38-caliber revolver when the men threatened his wife of 72 years at their home east of Ocoee.
- At about 3:55 a.m. Dec. 13, Federal Way police responded to a shooting at the Mariposa Apartment Complex, 28120 18 Ave. S, Federal Way.A 24-year-old white female called 911 to report she had shot her 40-year-old white male husband. Both are residents of Federal Way.
Preliminary investigation indicates the shooting was in self-defense.
- DELTONA -- Bullets went flying in Deltona early Sunday morning, after the victim of a chaotic home invasion fought back, apparently shooting one of the suspect's in his groin as he fled the crime scene.
- PHOENIX -- A Valley resident shot one of two intruders in his Phoenix home Tuesday night, police said.According to police, two burglars broke into the man's home, and the homeowner grabbed his gun and shot one in the chest.
- A Tulsa homeowner shot and killed a teenager who was breaking into his house early Tuesday, police said.Gunfire was exchanged. The homeowner shot one of the intruders twice in the chest, and the homeowner's wife was shot in the abdomen.
- Police are investigating the shooting death that occurred at Courtyard 1 Apartments on Burcale Road, that's near the Clay Pond village community.They say, the owner was home at the time of the robbery and shot one suspect while the other took off.
and the most important reason:
- The data show that (although exceptions can be found) the nations with the highest rates of gun ownership tend to have greater political and civil freedom, greater economic freedom and prosperity, and much less corruption than other nations. The relationship only exists for high-ownership countries.
And if you are still not convinced that the Second Amendment should be an individual right, I give you William Shatner.